See Southampton Heritage Guides – Sightseeing tours, tour guides and accessible tours


The Eastern Docks foundation stone was laid on the 12th October 1838.

A column, just inside No8 Gate, was unveiled by the Chair of the Southern Railway Company to mark the centenary in 1938.

A large bronze globe at its top has the signs of the zodiac around the Equator.

Skip to content