The Watergate was built by 1377, after the French Raid of 1338, to strengthen Southampton’s southern defences. It was equivalent to the Bargate. In 1403 it was leased to William Revanstone, an ex Mayor, on condition he repaired the tower and gate. His rent was nominal – one red rose payable on 24th June, St.John the Baptist day. William Soper, Clerk of the King’s Ships, leased it on the same conditions. In the part of the tower that still remains there is a four tier garderobe (toilet).
In 1609 the Royal Coat of Arms was put above the gate. It was at an angle across the road with two towers. For many years the Sun Inn was on the site of the east tower.
In 1804 the Burgesses ordered the gate to be pulled down and the stone was sold for 10 shillings.