Warrior War Horse
Horses returning from WW1 were sold off. In 1919 Hilda Moore contacted the Mayor, Sidney Kimber, offering to buy a horse for the town. A chosen horse, a large white gelding, was handed over to the local Police. It had been in France since 1914, took part in many actions, and had a battle scar.
It was named Warrior War Horse and was popular in the town till its death in 1935. Kimber stepped in to prevent it being taken to the knacker’s yard and found a grave site for it at the newly opened Municipal Golf Course where it remains with a memorial stone telling Warrior’s story.