This is one of Southampton’s major museums. Built on the site of medieval vaults, the main structure dates from 1510-18. It was developed by Sir John Dawtry who was M.P. for Southampton in 1495 and Sheriff of Hampshire in 1516.
Richard Lyster, Lord Chief Justice of England 1546-1552 lived here. The Gardens contain a canon given to the town in 1543.
There is also an arch from St. Denys Priory and a plaque to the Italian nationalist Garibaldi who visited Southampton in 1864.