The Duke of Wellington
The Duke of Wellington pub in Bugle Street is built on 12th century vaults. Benedict Ace, one of Southampton’s first recorded Mayors in 1237, was an early owner. It was damaged in the French Raid of 1338. A timber frame building was erected in the late 1400s when it probably became an inn.
It was once known as the Bere House, then the Shipwright’s Arms and later renamed in honour of Wellington’s victory over Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815.
It was badly damaged by WW2 bombing and the rebuild was not completed until 1963. It is noted today for its summer hanging basket display.