This largely hidden tower in the north east corner of the Norman town dates from the early 1200’s. It was originally owned and maintained by St. Deny’s Priory as a 28 foot high three-storey structure but fell into disrepair.
Nine times Mayor, John Polymond re-built the tower in the 1360’s. However, records from 1654 tell of Polymond Tower again being in disrepair because being near the Town ditch its foundations were insecure.
This was a poor part of the town and during the 1665 plague some destitute families lived in it.
In 1828 the council proposed to tear down the whole building but after an outcry from citizens the current one story tower remains.