The link between the Ordnance Survey and Southampton goes back to 1841. It was formed in 1791 to carry out a military survey of England and based in the Tower of London.
In October 1841 a devastating fire led to the Survey moving to military premises in Southampton at the junction of the Avenue and London Road.
Once the orphans of soldiers were housed there a time commemorated by the name Asylum Road. The military connection ended in 1870. Later in 1968 it moved to Maybush and recently has moved to new premises off the M271.