Following the Norman Conquest of 1066 the town was split into distinct parts. The Normans took the desirable West with their houses fronting the water. The conquered Saxons had the East side of town. This division was shown in the use of French Street and English Street as road names. The latter is known today as High Street, Below Bar.
The Doomsday survey of 1086 records 96 inhabitants of Southampton paying dues to the King 31 from English Street and 65 from French Street.