Cross House

Before the Itchen Bridge opened in June 1977 passengers used the Floating Bridge (a cable ferry that crossed the river Itchen between Woolston and Southampton).

The Floating Bridge came into service in November 1836. Before then there was a ferry boat service. The Cross House, to give passengers shelter whilst waiting to be ferried across, survives and the present building dates from 1634.